Grandmother burnt while making pancakes
The grandchildren, boys ages 12 and 13, are credited with using a fire extinguisher to put out the fire and for calling 911, said Bruce Pulver, a fire investigator with the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office.
“They really saved her from getting any worse burns,” Pulver said.
The woman was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with first- and second-degree burns over 25 percent of her body, he said.
Her condition wasn’t immediately known.
Around 10:30 a.m., Snohomish County Fire District 1 paramedics rushed to the 6100 block of 147th Place SE. The grandmother was cooking at a gas range when her cotton nightgown caught on fire, Pulver said.
One boy tried to put the fire out with water. When that didn’t work he dialed 911 while the other boy used the fire extinguisher.
Crews were called to a second fire early this afternoon. Around 1:20 p.m., Fire District 1 and Lynnwood fire crew responded to a blaze at a single-family rental home in the 17700 block of Alder Way.
The home was destroyed and a family of four was displaced, said Kristen Thorstenson, a Fire District 1 spokeswoman.
A neighbor boy rescued the two family dogs. No one else was home and no one was hurt.
Snohomish County Red Cross and Support 7 responded.
The fire is under investigation, Pulver said.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.