State agency sides with Everett firefighters in complaint against city on overtime

EVERETT — The state Public Employment Relations Commission has ruled against the city of Everett for refusing to bargain with the firefighters union over the past two years about issues surrounding workload and overtime.

If the Dec. 2 ruling stands, the city could end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost overtime plus interest to the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 46.

Since firefighters can’t strike to protest reduced staffing, filing the grievance was the only way the union could get the city’s attention, said union president Paul Gagnon. He said he doesn’t even want any money.

“This whole decision has nothing to do with the money,” he said. “This has always been about service to citizens.”

The city is reviewing the decision, including the potential monetary impact, said Everett spokeswoman Kate Reardon.

“It appears that the decision contains major errors and is not consistent with the law or the city-union collective bargaining agreement,” she said.

Last January, the union filed a complaint with the state alleging unfair labor practices by the city. The union was upset about measures by city officials to clamp down on overtime costs.

The union also complained about a decision that led to more personnel from other fire districts responding to emergency calls in Everett.

In 2010, the city’s chief financial officer, Debra Bryant, told Fire Chief Murray Gordon he had to live within the department budget. That included not exceeding the department’s overtime allotment, according to the decision.

Like other local cities, Everett is struggling to to balance its operating budget at a time of sagging revenues.

The fire department and emergency medical services combined spent $8 million between 2006 and 2010 — just on overtime. Sometimes, overtime spending far outstripped the amount budgeted. In 2009, for instance, the fire department spent $1.3 million on overtime — $500,000 more than budgeted.

The fire department had been covering some shifts by having personnel work overtime.

When the fire department’s overtime money ran out in the fall of 2010, an assistant chief instructed employees to fill all the shifts with as many firefighters as available without using overtime.

If not enough people were available, two aid cars or an engine unit were put out of service. The union described what happened as “brownouts.”

When union officers attempted to meet with Mayor Ray Stephanson about staffing in November 2010, the mayor was emphatic that it would be he who made budget and staffing decisions, according to documents.

Hearing Examiner Katrina Boedecker found this behavior and other directives from city officials “inconsistent with a willingness to bargain.”

The city presented each change in staffing as a done deal and in a manner that “did not invite bargaining,” she wrote.

State law requires that employers of union-represented workers give notice and provide an opportunity for collective bargaining when they want to change wages, hours or working conditions, Boedecker noted.

“I find that the employer did refuse to bargain about reducing overtime opportunities, reducing equipment staffing levels, and allowing firefighter bargaining unit work to be performed by employees from other jurisdictions,” she wrote in the decision. “I also find that the employer failed to negotiate in a meaningful way before unilaterally making those changes.”

The city has until Thursday to appeal the decision. If it doesn’t appeal, it must pay lost overtime wages to firefighters. The city is calculating how much that would be. The union would be responsible for doling out the money to members. Gagnon said they haven’t determined how that would happen.

The hearing examiner also instructed the city to return fire department operations to the way they were, including allowing the firefighters to fill shifts using overtime. It’s not clear how this will affect the city’s budget next year.

The fire department was overspending the overtime budget because there aren’t enough firefighters and paramedics to cover all the aid car and engine units, Gagnon said. The department is understaffed and too many people have been promoted to jobs that take them out of fire trucks and into desks, he said.

The union represents 175 Everett Fire Department employees, including firefighters, emergency medical technicians and paramedics.

Reporter Debra Smith: 425-339-3197 or dsmith@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.