The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 12:01 a.m.

Charge may be filed in death of suspected thief

Prosecutors say an Everett man could face a manslaughter charge for restraining an alleged thief, who died of asphyxia.

EVERETT -- A man could face a manslaughter charge in connection with the death of a suspected thief he confronted on his property south of Everett last summer.
Detectives have forwarded the results of their investigation to prosecutors and are recommending a manslaughter charge, said Kevin Prentiss, a bureau chief with the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.
Prosecutors are reviewing the file, which details how a man died after he allegedly attempted to steal a boat motor, and was restrained by the owner.
"No charging decision is imminent," Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Ed Stemler said. "A charging decision is probably going to be made shortly after the first of the year I would guess."
Stemler said prosecutors will evaluate the case. They also have people they need to talk to before making a decision.
Dylan Thomas Jones, 23, of Everett, died July 19 in the 400 block of 117th Street SE. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office listed the cause of death as asphyxia due to compression of the neck, and the manner of death as homicide.
Jones reportedly was held down in a driveway by the man, 67, who said he caught him attempting to steal an outboard motor from his boat, which was parked outside his house on a dead-end street.
When deputies arrived, Jones was lying on the ground near the house and was not breathing. Despite attempts to revive the suspect, he died at the scene.
The boat owner said he held down Jones to detain him for police after the two exchanged punches.
The older man said he wrapped an arm around the younger man's neck and tried to stay on top of him. He said he recognized Jones as a friend of his nephew.
"I was scared to death he was going to get up," he told The Herald the day after the confrontation. "Truthfully, I'm not fighting. I'm hanging on ... I hung on because I was scared."
At one point, Jones appeared to lose energy and give up, the man said. He said he left Jones there while he retrieved some wire to bind his wrists. He said his plan was to secure him for police.
When he returned with the wire, the pair fought some more, the man said. He eventually was able to restrain the younger man's wrists with the wire and asked a neighbor to call 911.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446,
Story tags » EverettCrimeHomicide

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.