Gregoire: Santorum visit won't overshadow same-sex marriage law
The Petri Dish: Will Santorum address lawmakers or just wave at them?
"He hasn't asked to meet with me," Gregoire said after she signed the law legalizing same-sex marriage.
Gregoire also said the visit by the former U.S. senator known for his conservative views and opposition to gay marriage cannot overshadow what she described as one of her proudest days as governor.
"His presence today can't take anything away from this day. And his opinions can't take anything away from the day," she said.
"He has his own opinions. I understand that. He'll have to get to know the people of this state. He'll have to learn about the journey we've been on before he judges us as a state," she said.
- The Petri Dish: Will Santorum address lawmakers or just wave at them? 2/11/12
- Gay sex a crime, India's high court says 12/11/13
- BNSF backtracks on benefits for same-sex spouses 12/4/13
- New Jersey gay weddings begin Monday 10/19/13
- Same-sex marriages begin Monday in New Jersey 10/18/13
- Exxon offers benefits to same-sex couples 9/27/13
- Justice Ginsburg to officiate same-sex wedding 8/30/13
- Wal-Mart extends benefits to same-sex partners 8/29/13
- Conservatives plan gay marriage appeal 6/30/13
- Gay couples line up to marry in California 6/29/13
- Obama seeks benefits for all gay couples 6/28/13
- Gay marriage gets a big boost 6/27/13
- Supreme Court rulings bolster state's gay couples 6/26/13
- Supreme Court clears way for gay marriage in California 6/26/13
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.