Alaska man victim of flesh-eating bacteria
The Juneau Empire said Ruben Pereyra was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle nearly two weeks ago.
Necrotizing Fasciitis is a rare, deadly condition. It happens when the skin is somehow broken and a naturally occurring bacteria gets into the body. The bacteria entered Pereyra's system through a splinter. He may lose his arm.
The disease has been in the national news lately as the case of 24-year-old Georgia college student Aimee Copeland captured attention as she battled the flesh-eating bacteria. She lost her left leg, right foot and both hands.
Copeland recently left the hospital for a rehabilitation facility.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.