Sounders sign German midfielder Christian Tiffert
Tiffert, 30, most recently played for and was team captain of Kaiserslautern in Germany's Bundesliga, and has spent most of his professional career in Germany with one stint in Austria. He had 17 assists for Kaiserslautern two seasons ago, but both his and the team's production fell off last year as the club finished last in the league, leading to relegation to Germany's second division.
Where exactly Tiffert will fit in with Seattle remains to be seen, but based on the information available on him, he appears to be a versatile, offensive minded midfielder.
"We were extremely impressed with Christian during his visit to Seattle," general manager Adrian Hanauer said in a press release. "His character and mentality fit well with the culture we have established within the organization, both on the field and in the locker room. We believe Christian will help us in our push towards the playoffs and beyond."
Added Sounders FC coach Sigi Schmid: "We wanted to bring in a player who is a central midfielder and has playmaking capabilities. Christian is a player who fits this mold and brings a lot of experience from the top league in Germany. His leadership and versatility make him a good fit for our club."
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Katy Perry texts with Russell Wilson, imitates Marshawn Lynch, likes the Seahawks Sunday Jan. 29
- Pete Carroll on New England's use of unusual formations: 'it's on us to see it' Jan. 29
- Richard Sherman hoping his unborn son is a “disciplined young man” until after Super Bowl Jan. 29
- Pete Carroll admits 'it's going to be a big challenge' sustaining success after Russell Wilson gets paid Jan. 29
- Marshawn Lynch speaks up to ask media 'what are y'all here for?' Jan. 29
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.