Shen Yun Contest

Enter to win two tickets to see Shen Yun April 3-5, 2015, at McCaw Hall

Fill out my online form.

*No purchase necessary to enter to win. Winner will be selected by a random drawing and will be notified by phone or email.

The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.


Published: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 2:44 p.m.

Slain man found in shallow grave near Snohomish

Police are looking for a suspect in the shooting death

SNOHOMISH -- A body found in a shallow grave north of here Monday is that of a man who was shot to death, deputies said, and police are seeking a suspect.
A neighbor walking a dog discovered the remains that evening off a stretch of Dubuque Road at Machias, Snohomish County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Shari Ireton said Thursday.
The neighbor reported smelling a strong odor in the area for several weeks, court papers said.
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office on Thursday identified the victim as Fernando Mendoza, 18, of Burlington. He died from multiple gunshot wounds. His death was ruled a homicide.
No arrests had been made as of Thursday afternoon.
"We are actively searching for a suspect," Ireton said.
The suspect is described as a 20-year-old man, but his name was not released.
Deputies observed drag patterns to the site from a nearby home as well as three distinct shoe impressions leading back to the home, according to a search warrant.
Detectives from Snohomish and Skagit counties have been working together to investigate the case, Ireton said.
Skagit deputies received a call July 3 from a Burlington woman reporting that Mendoza, her brother, was missing.
His family last saw him on July 2, when he drove from his home in an acquaintance's black Lincoln. His family told authorities they suspected foul play.
Mendoza's girlfriend told investigators that he had called her July 2 to say he was going to the Everett area to meet a friend and pick up money. His girlfriend assumed he was going to meet an acquaintance who had bought drugs from him and owed him money.
A Marysville businesswoman reported July 16 that a black Lincoln had been in her parking lot since July 2, according to a search warrant. It was the car Mendoza was last seen driving.
Cellphone records helped detectives track the last calls Mendoza made. The suspect received a call from Mendoza's phone on the afternoon of July 2.
A witness earlier this week told detectives he heard gunshots in early July and that he saw the body of a Hispanic man lying on the ground near a barn and the suspect holding a shotgun. He said the suspect pointed the shotgun in his direction and told him to help him move the body.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446, stevick@heraldnet.com.
Story tags » SnohomishCrimePoliceHomicideMissing PersonsBurlington

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...
HeraldNet Classifieds