Like The Herald Business Journal on Facebook!
The Herald of Everett, Washington
Heraldnet.com

The top local business stories in your email

Contact Us:

Josh O'Connor
Publisher
Phone: 425-339-3007
joconnor@heraldnet.com

Jody Knoblich
General Sales Manager
Phone: 425-339-3445
Fax: 425-339-3049
jknoblich@heraldnet.com

Jim Davis
Editor
Phone: 425-339-3097
jdavis@heraldnet.com

Site address:
1800 41st Street, S-300,
Everett, WA 98203

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 930
Everett, WA 98206

HBJ RSS feeds

Making a clean sweep

Chimneys and fireplaces need regular, professional inspection

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Pinterest icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Carole Feldman
Associated Press
Published:
  • Certified chimney sweep Jacques Leccia cleans and checks an Illinois home.

    Jeff Bearden/ Chimney Safety Institute of America

    Certified chimney sweep Jacques Leccia cleans and checks an Illinois home.

People are drawn to a fire, whether they're roasting marshmallows around a campfire during the summer or cuddling up near the fireplace in the dead of winter.
And just as you take precautions outdoors, there are things you should do to make sure your fireplaces and chimneys are safe.
Fires built in fireplaces or wood stoves leave a gummy residue, called creosote, that can stick to the lining of your chimney. Creosote -- created by soot, smoke, gases and other particles -- is flammable, and can be the source of a dangerous chimney fire.

Between 2005 and 2008, an average 26,900 fires annually were blamed on fireplaces, chimneys or chimney connectors, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Experts recommend that chimneys be inspected every year by a certified chimney sweep and cleaned if necessary. The cost can range from $100 to $300 or higher.
Cleaning a chimney is not a do-it-yourself project, said Kit Selzer, a senior editor at Better Homes and Gardens. It's a dirty job, and it also can be risky, especially if you have to climb onto the roof.
Chimney sweeps are trained to determine whether chimneys are structurally sound and whether they need to be cleaned, said Ashley Eldridge, education director for the Chimney Safety Institute of America. They also will make sure the chimney is up to code, especially important in older houses.
Selzer recommends that homeowners use the institute's website, www.csia.org, to select a certified chimney sweep. To become certified, a sweep must pass two tests: one on the inspection process and tools, and the other on the international residential code, as it applies to chimneys, Eldridge said.
"Each job is different," said Christina El-Hage, a certified sweep with Pride Clean Chimney Sweeps in Bethesda, Md., but there are some basics.
"We're looking to make sure the flue is fully safe," she said. "We're making sure there are no third-degree burns of creosote on the lining."
Chimney sweeps also check to see if there are any birds or animals in the chimney, or anything that would block the flow of smoke. They also check that there's no water coming in.
Cleaning the chimney involves removing creosote.
When thinking of chimneys, El-Hage said, many people focus on the one attached to the fireplace. "Yes, they can catch on fire, but we're not dealing with a deadly gas, carbon monoxide," she said, as is the case with chimneys leading from furnaces.
Whether they burn oil or gas, furnaces vent carbon monoxide outside into the atmosphere, and those chimneys, too, need to be inspected.
"It's the No. 1 reason why we are in business," El-Hage said. You can choose to use a fireplace, she said, but "you have to use your heat."

Steps you can take
There are steps you can take at home to reduce creosote buildup and the risk of a chimney fire.
•Dry wood: Foremost is picking dry wood to burn, Ashley Eldridge said. To determine whether wood is sufficiently dry, "take two pieces and bang them together. You get almost a ring as an indication its ready. If not, it's a dull thud."
Dry wood also will appear gray on the surface and have cracks on the end.
No trash: Don't throw pizza boxes or other trash in the fireplace, Christina El-Hage said, because it causes a thicker smoke, which lowers the temperature in the chimney. "The hotter the fire, the better the burn," she said.
Fire starter: While many people use a newspaper to start a fire, she recommends a fire log or fire starter instead.
Screen: And to reduce the risk of a spark flying out of the fireplace, use a screen and stay in the room while the fire is burning. "The last thing you want to do is build a big old fire and leave the room," Eldridge said.
Also needed: a smoke detector, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher.
Story tags » FireHome Improvement

MORE HBJ HEADLINES

CALENDAR

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus

Market roundup