The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Swedish ER

Player quickly, compassionately cared for

I would like to take a moment to sincerely thank the E.R. staff at the new Swedish Emergency Room off of 128th in South Everett. On Sept. 10, my son, Jake, was playing for the Snohomish JV Football team against the Glacier Peak JV at Glacier Peak High School.
As Snohomish led 25-24 with seconds remaining in the game, Glacier Peak lined up for a field goal attempt to win the game. The snap was high and there was a wild scramble for the ball. Snohomish recovered and won the game. Moments later, the Snohomish coaches motioned my wife and I to the 50-yard line where our son had dislocated his shoulder and sprained his ankle on the last play of the game.
He was quickly iced, but in tremendous pain. Coach Perry and I got his shoulder pads off as he was shaking and going into shock. My wife, Rochele, suggested we take him to the new Swedish E.R. just a few miles away on 128th.
As we drove in around 8:30, my wife got him checked in at the front desk, while moments later, a kind E.R. nurse greeted Jake and quickly took him to one of the many modern treatment rooms. My younger son, Braden and I followed. She quickly got his vitals, while Matt, the P.A., got him some pain medication and calmly told us how he was going to attempt to put the bone back into the shoulder socket. Moments later, another cheerful doctor, Jon, came in and tried a different technique to get the bone back in. It worked. Jake could feel his fingers again.
A very nice X-ray tech wheeled Jake down to X-ray and was back in minutes. The E.R. nurse suggested Jake get a blanket, which he said he didn't need, but she told him, "I'm going to make a command decision here" and got him a nice warm blanket, something to eat and drink, and also offering us something as well.
Jake got his ankle wrapped, a sling fitted, and was out the door just after 9:30 p.m. A week later, Jake was still sore, but on the road to recovery.
The staff at the South Everett Swedish E.R. were commendable. They were professional, kind, and compassionate.
Thank you so much,
Ken Hammond
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


Herald Editorial Board

Jon Bauer, Opinion Editor:

Carol MacPherson, Editorial Writer:

Neal Pattison, Executive Editor:

Josh O'Connor, Publisher:

Have your say

Feel strongly about something? Share it with the community by writing a letter to the editor. Send letters by e-mail to, by fax to 425-339-3458 or mail to The Herald - Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We'll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 250 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it. If your letter is published, please wait 30 days before submitting another. Have a question about letters? Contact Carol MacPherson at or 425-339-3472.