The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 2:14 p.m.

Slaying of 10-year-old boy at movie theater triggers anguish in Mexico City

MEXICO CITY - The slaying of a 10-year-old boy at a movie theater to see the animated Disney film "Wreck-It Ralph" has caused a commotion in Mexico's capital and cast a harsh light on the inaction of police and prosecutors.
Someone fired a single gunshot that struck the head of Hendrik Cuacuas while his father and 12-year-old sister sat beside him. The slaying occurred Nov. 2, but news of it only broke this week.
Public anger prompted investigators to seal off the cinema and continue interrogating employees Tuesday about the youngster's slaying. Cinepolis, the world's fourth largest theater chain, also came under fire for allowing the feature film to continue after the mortally wounded boy's evacuation.
The father of the boy, Enrique Cuacuas Miranda, an engineer, said he took his son and daughter to see "Wreck-it Ralph" at a multiplex theater in the Ixtapalapa area of the capital. About half an hour after the feature began, Cuacuas said he "heard something whistle by my ear." Moments later, he turned to see his son in convulsions.
"I tried to get him to talk to me, to respond, and he wouldn't," Cuacuas told the W Radio network.
Unbeknownst to Cuacuas, someone in a row in front of his family had fired a gun at his son's head. For an unknown reason, the shot produced neither a loud report nor a muzzle flash.
Upon feeling blood on his son's head, Cuacuas took action.
"I stood up and said, 'No one leaves here until this is cleared up. I'm going for the manager,'" Cuacuas said.
Employees stopped the film and turned on the lights. A gurney arrived but it was not immediately clear that the boy had been shot, only that he was in convulsions and bleeding from the head.
Some of the 274 people crowding the theater shouted at Cuacuas for interrupting the show. Cuacuas recalled that they said "maybe I was the one who hurt him."
The family accompanied the wounded boy to the basement of the Plaza Ermita center. When a Red Cross ambulance failed to arrive, a theater employee took the boy in his own vehicle to a nearby hospital. He was transferred later in the evening to better-equipped hospital.
After X-rays were taken, Cuacuas said he learned that it wasn't a piece of glass or other projectile that hit his son but a bullet. The boy died of complications Nov. 4.
On Monday night, city coroner Edmundo Takahashi Medina said the shot came from only a yard or so away.
"They must catch the wretch who did this," Cuacuas told another radio network, Radio Red.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...

Photo galleries

» More HeraldNet galleries

HeraldNet highlights

Looking for a friend?
Looking for a friend?: Animals up for adoption at the Everett shelter (7 new photos)
A haircut for a dollar?
A haircut for a dollar?: At Everett barber school, it'll only cost you a hair
What's your number?
What's your number?: Find out what your Seahawks jersey says about you
Cooking for kickoff
Cooking for kickoff: Football-themed recipes for your Super Bowl crowd
SnoCoSocial