The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Saturday, November 24, 2012, 6:20 p.m.

Love of cars reunites Vietnam veterans

1967 Ford bridges a 47-year gap for Vancouver, Wash., friends

  • Mike Woods (left) looked at a 1967 Ford Fairlane at a summer cruise-in and found it was owned by Jim Chmielewski, an Army buddy he last saw in 1966.

    Photo by Vivian Johnson

    Mike Woods (left) looked at a 1967 Ford Fairlane at a summer cruise-in and found it was owned by Jim Chmielewski, an Army buddy he last saw in 1966.

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Jim Chmielewski's album has photos taken in 1966 during Army training, including a shot of Chmielewski standing with Mike Woods.
A 1967 Ford Fairlane that didn't go anywhere one hot afternoon brought together two Vancouver men who hadn't seen each other in 46 years.
Mike Woods and Jim Chmielewski met in 1965 after they were drafted, and then they went through Army aviation training together in Alabama.
"That's where we went our separate ways," Woods said.
Those routes took them to different areas of Vietnam. Woods flew on a rocket-firing Huey helicopter; Chmielewski was assigned to an air-transport unit.
"We didn't know what happened to each other after advanced training," Woods said. "You never know if guys make it back. You see guys for a couple of months, and then never know if they were killed."
They got an update three months ago. Accompanied by a neighbor, Woods drove his 1951 Chevrolet Club Coupe to a Vancouver hot-rod cruise-in.
"It was hot out, so we found a shady spot next to a lady," Woods said. "A gentleman on the other side of her sat there, quiet."
Eventually, Woods and the woman, Dorothy Cooper, started talking. She didn't know him, but "he was very friendly, and it was fun talking with him."
"When he asked which car my friend had," Cooper said, "I told him it was the white 1967 Fairlane."
Woods eventually walked over to take a closer look at the Fairlane 500. He read the information card on the windshield, which included the name of the owner.
"I saw the name 'Jim Chmielewski' and I about fell over," Woods said. "I hadn't heard that name since 1966."
Woods walked over to the Fairlane's owner and then said, "Jim Chmielewski?"
Chmielewski acknowledged that he was the owner of the car and Woods said: "Vietnam, 1965?"
"We stared at each other," Chmielewski said, and he finally said: "Mike?"
Since that Aug. 19 reunion, the two 68-year-old men have had more than four decades of catching up to do.
It turned out that the August event wasn't the first time they'd taken their cars to the same cruise-in. Woods and Chmielewski (pronounced "Shimalewski") live in the same general part of town, and enjoy eating at a couple of the same restaurants.
Met in July 1965
They've also had a chance to do some reminiscing. They met in July 1965 at Fort Ord, Calif., then both went to the aviation training center at Fort Rucker, Ala.
Chmielewski, a 1962 Hudson's Bay High School graduate, served with an air unit that supported Special Forces operations. He was a ground crew member and a crew chief on a twin-engine Caribou transport.
Woods, a 1962 Estacada, Ore., High School graduate, was a helicopter crew chief with an aerial rocket artillery battalion assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division.
"We had 24 rockets on each side," Woods said. "When troops were pinned down, they'd call for support and mark their position with yellow smoke.
"We lived on a landing zone most of the time, in hooches we made out of ammo boxes," Woods said.
At his air transport base, Chmielewski recalled, "We lived in chicken coops."
After his tour of Vietnam, Chmielewski finished his service at Fort Lewis, where his Army career took a couple of unexpected turns. He drove a bookmobile, which turned out to be more complicated than it sounded.
When Chmielewski returned to a spot on his route after two weeks, a soldier who'd checked out some books didn't have them.
"The kid said his sergeant threw them all away," Chmielewski said. "I reported it."
Eventually, his route took Chmielewski back there.
"The sergeant was waiting for me, along with all the other sergeants in the company. I got out as quick as I could. And I reported them again."

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


HeraldNet highlights

Lofty potential for drones
Lofty potential for drones: Aircraft could be used in real estate, other businesses
A community of kindness
A community of kindness: Seahawks home a display of affection for couple's daughter
Looking for a friend?
Looking for a friend?: Animals up for adoption at the Everett shelter (7 new photos)
Super snacks
Super snacks: Best finger-food recipes to make for the big game