Seahawks sign 10 to future contracts
Eight of the players Seattle signed were on the practice squad at the end of the year: WR Phil Bates, RB Derrick Coleman, DB Chandler Fenner, TE Cooper Heflet, LB Kyle Knox, DB Ron Parker, DT Wade Myles, and WR Bryan Walters. LB Korey Toomer, a fifth-round pick in last year's draft, had been on Seattle's practice squad/injured list.
The Seahawks also added 6-5, 208-pound receiver Stephen Williams last week. Williams was waived/injured by Arizona in August after suffering an Achilles injury. He first joined the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2010 out of Toledo. Williams started three games for the Cardinals in 2010, catching nine passes for 101 yards. He appeared in two games in 2011 but did not have a catch.
Generally, future contracts go to young players who are something of long shots to work out in the long run, but the Seahawks have found some keepers in signings they made this time of year. Following the 2010 season the Seahawks signed cornerback Brandon Browner and offensive lineman Paul McQuistan to future contracts, and both became starters, with Browner even making the Pro Bowl last season.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Quotes from Pete Carroll's Monday Super Bowl week press conference Jan. 26
- Pete Carroll and Seahawks players stick up for their silent (and occasionally crotch-grabbing) running back Jan. 26
- Seahawks players not bothered by Brandon Browner's "try to break it" comment Jan. 26
- Brandon Browner says Patriots should go after Sherman and Thomas injuries Jan. 26
- Quotes from Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Russell Okung and Jermaine Kearse Jan. 25
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.