2 cups Basmati rice
2 cups fresh/canned coconut milk
2 cups hot boiling water
1 medium onion chopped
3-4 garlic cloves chopped
˝ cup fresh/frozen peas
Whole garam masala (An inch of cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 2 green cardamoms)
4 to 6 cashews
Salt to taste
2 tsp of ghee/butter/oil
Soak the raw rice in cold water and set aside for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, get a thick bottom quart pan or cooker pan heating on medium. Add the ghee, when it shimmers, add in the whole garam masala, cashews and garlic.
Once the garlic turns light brown, toss in the onions and let it cook to a caramel brown. Add the peas, 2 cups coconut milk and 2 cups water.
When it begins to boil, add in the soaked, drained rice and salt to taste. Let it cook on low for about 12-15 minutes until the rice is cooked and flaky. Serve hot with any curry, or eat as is. Enjoy!
Tip: You may also make this in the electric rice cooker. Just saute all the ingredients, add it into the rice cooker, and pour in 2 cups of coconut milk and 2 cups of water; salt to taste, and turn it on.
More on myfoodarama.com
Most recent The Dish posts
- Surprise ingredient makes these biscuits great April 7
- Five organic fruits and vegetables that might really be worth the price April 1
- Get cracking: Easter tradition full of memories April 1
- Biscotti cookbook a mix of classic, creative April 1
- The most popular breakfast cereals in America today March 25
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.