The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


Sports headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Saturday, January 19, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Sixth-seeded Del Potro first big casualty at Australian Open

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Sixth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro became the first major casualty of the Australian Open when he lost in five sets Saturday to Jeremy Chardy of France.
The 6-foot-6 Argentinian, the 2009 U.S. Open champion, had only dropped 13 games in two matches before facing Chardy -- the fewest number of all the men -- until his 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 3-6, 6-3 third-round defeat.
Chardy won the first two sets and, after del Potro rallied to level at two-all, got the crucial break in the eighth game of the fifth set and then held to clinch the match, closing with an ace.
The 36th-ranked Frenchman frustrated del Potro with a mix of drop shots, well-angled forehands and backhand slices, one of which sent del Potro running into the stands in the third set.
Del Potro had been tipped as an outside contender for the title in the absence of 11-time major winner Rafael Nadal, but his loss leaves only leaves three Grand Slam winners in the men's draw. Of those, Andy Murray advanced on Saturday, and Roger Federer was playing a night match. No. 1-ranked Novak Djokovic continued his run toward a third consecutive Australian Open title with a third-round win on Friday night.
"Of course, it's not a good result after I came back from two sets down, but Jeremy played really well in the fifth set," he said. "He was so calm to close the match in the end.
"Jeremy played so strong during four hours. He made a lot of winners with the forehand, very good slices. In the end, when he had the chance to break me, he did. He played better in the important moments and he took the chance to win the match."
Chardy had a win over No. 3-ranked Andy Murray at Cincinnati last year, but said the win over del Potro was a bigger personal achievement in the circumstances.
"Here it's something more because Australian Open, third round, I play a top player," he said. "It's a big win for me. And maybe the best of my career."
He will meet Andreas Seppi in the fourth round after the No. 21-seeded Italian beat No. 12 Marin Cilic.
Story tags » Professional Tennis

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus

HeraldNet highlights

Powerlifting passion
Powerlifting passion: South Everett man helps others succeed in sport he excels at
Better for knowing you
Better for knowing you: Hall touched the lives of many people, including a Herald writer
Rocking all over again
Rocking all over again: Heart guitarist Roger Fisher pours soul into new project
Hoop skills
Hoop skills: College students on break teach finer points of basketball
SnoCoSocial