Sounders loan of Fredy Montero to Colombian club now official
The loan is for the full 2013 season, and Seattle announced that Montero had been signed to a multi-year contract extension prior to the loan. The terms of the load were not announced, but according to multiple reports, Sounders FC will receive $4.5 million.
The move frees up a designated player spot for the Sounders, and based on comments made by general manager Adrian Hanauer, they'll fill that third DP spot at some point.
Montero is the franchise' leading goal scorer with 47 in MLS play and 60 in all competitions.
"Fredy has been a fantastic player and pro for Sounders FC over our first four years," said Hanauer said in a statement. "We wish Fredy the best of success with Millonarios as he continues to develop as a player. We hope this move helps Fredy's chances of being called up to the Colombian National Team, as he has certainly earned it."
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Richard Sherman on DPOY race, "idiot" draft analysts, Larry Fitzgerald and more Dec. 19
- When rivalry one-upmanship becomes a very good thing; plus Thursday links Dec. 19
- Seahawks-Cardinals Thursday injury report Dec. 18
- Seahawks' Browner suspended indefinitely by NFL Dec. 18
- Mariners re-sign Franklin Gutierrez Dec. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.