The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Officials say lamp caused fatal Edmonds blaze

EDMONDS -- Investigators believe a reading lamp started the fire that killed an Edmonds woman Monday night.
She was identified Tuesday as Laurel A. Moody, 61, according to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office.
Moody died of smoke inhalation. Her death was ruled an accident.
The fire was reported about 6 p.m. at Gateway Apartments along 240th Street SW. The fire was contained to Moody's apartment in the six-unit complex.
Crews found her body inside. Her cat also died in the fire.
People who live in the apartment complex were allowed to return to their homes at about 11:30 p.m. Monday.
The lamp was the clip-on kind used on a shelf or headboard, said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
"It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," Hynes said.
Story tags » EdmondsFirefightingFire

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.