The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Friday, February 8, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

Close to 100 rounds fired in Forest Grove police shootout

HILLSBORO -- Police now say that close to 100 shots may have been fired during last month after a 911 call from the wife of an off-duty Hillsboro policeman who, according to court records, was drinking and had medications that can cause "altered mental status" when combined with alcohol.
Investigators said they may never know precisely how many rounds were fired before Timothy Cannon linked arms with his wife and daughter and surrendered, The Oregonian reported.
Ten officers responding to the call Jan. 20 exchanged shots with Cannon, police said. Earlier estimates had the number of shots at around 50.
It's "closer to 100," said Capt. Mike Herb of the Forest Grove police. "It may be very challenging to come up with an absolute number," he said.
Cannon, 46, and another officer were treated for minor injuries. Cannon has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted aggravated murder.
He worked for the Hillsboro force, resigning last month, and lived to the west in Forest Grove.
Search warrant records filed in court this week show at least 70 ammunition casings were gathered from inside and around the home, but multiple "fired cartridge cases" are listed without identifying the exact number. Seven bullets were located, including one from the porch of a neighboring residence across the street. Police are still investigating where all the rounds went.
Cannon had been drinking off and on throughout the week, and he was acting agitated the day of the shooting, according to the court records.
Investigators seized bottles of medications prescribed for Cannon, including drugs to treat pain, anxiety, panic attacks and depression. The medications have side effects that can result in "altered mental status" when combined with alcohol, the records say.
The incident lasted 81 minutes from the time his wife, Lisa, called 911 reporting a domestic disturbance.
Cannon told officers he was armed with an AR-15 and they would need to kill him, Herb said. Cannon blocked access to his wife and daughter, and once the firing began, he shot through walls at the officers, Herb said.
His wife, quoted in the court documents, said he addressed officers by name: "Chuck, I'm not coming down. Slade, I know all your games. I'm not coming down."
Police haven't said who fired first.
Cannon eventually walked into a bathroom where his wife and 6-year-old daughter were and laid down his weapon, and then the three walked downstairs.
Story tags » Police

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.