Felix Hernandez extension with Mariners now official
Terms of the contract were not announced, but reports from the Associated Press and CBS indicate it's a seven-year deal worth $175 million. Hernandez will sign the contract at a news conference at Safeco Field Wednesday afternoon.
The contract will make Hernandez the highest-paid pitcher in baseball. Hernandez is a three-time All-Star and 2010 American League Cy Young Award winner.
The Associated Press reports there had been speculation about an injury to Hernandez's pitching elbow that could be slowing the negotiations. Zduriencik said earlier in the day that a deal of that magnitude in years and dollars, "takes time to work things out."
Read more about it in the Associated Press report.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks place second-round tender on WR Doug Baldwin March 7
- Clint Dempsey back with Sounders; available for Saturday’s opener March 7
- Seahawks re-sign Jeanpierre and Johnson March 7
- Seahawks DE Michael Bennett will test free agency March 6
- Brandon Browner suspended for first four games of 2014 March 5
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.