Friday night, she heard "a big boom" next door, followed by someone screaming.
Wichita police said Saturday that the explosion came when two brothers, who were celebrating a $75,000 winning lottery ticket by buying marijuana and meth, accidentally ignited butane in their duplex.
The explosion sent one of the brothers, a 27-year-old, to the hospital. Over the weekend, he was in serious but stable condition with second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest. By Monday he had been released from the hospital.
On Friday, the other brother was booked into jail on suspicion of drug charges, record show.
Police gave this account Saturday: The brothers were in a duplex in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West Street. One of the brothers went to refuel butane torches to light bongs and emptied butane lighter fluid. The vapor exploded when it reached a furnace pilot light.
On Monday, Jewett, the duplex neighbor, recalled that the blast "shook the whole house."
She thought she heard someone yell, "Get out!" She saw smoke coming from her neighbors' door.
Police officials, who weren't available for an update on the incident Monday because of the holiday, said the victim's girlfriend loaded him and some children into a car and took him to Via Christi Hospital.
More Nation & World Headlines
South Carolina Senate pushes forward with removing Confederate flag San Francisco shooting death inflames debate over illegal immigration Hundreds of thousands gather for pope Mass in South America POW-MIA chief to push for private-group aid to find war dead There’s good news for well-off homeowners in the GOP presidential campaign Jellyfish have become nature’s ultimate guerrilla protesters against power plants Mozambique destroys ivory, rhino horn in anti-poaching move Vomiting bug from Asia threatens global wave of gastro outbreaks
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.