Stolen rifle fires, killing burglar in Oregon
Detective John Williams says investigators found a shotgun and the rifle Sunday morning, side by side on the passenger-side floorboard of a stolen farm truck, barrels pointed at the driver.
Williams says it appears that a lever on the shotgun got into the trigger guard of the rifle and fired it.
The weapons were among other goods taken from a nearby house on the farmland.
Williams says detectives found no indication anybody else had been in the truck, whose engine had been running for hours.
The man was identified as 19-year-old Genaro Hernandez Mendoza.
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Amateur rocketeers cheer as porta-potty takes to sky Dec. 7
- Baby weighing nearly 14 pounds born in Colorado Dec. 5
- Explosive episode: WWII grenade was embedded in Austria firewood Dec. 1
- MIT engineers have high hopes for cheetah robot Nov. 30
- Snow bird? Lost hummer gets lift from Minnesota to Texas Nov. 24
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.