Gov. Inslee to offer budget scheme Thursday
The big reveal will be made at 11 a.m. when he intends to release a broad blueprint for balancing the next state budget and pumping as much as $1 billion more into public schools in the coming two years.
His news conference can be watched online on TVW
For weeks, Inslee has promised to provide a list of tax exemptions he wants to end. It's very possible Inslee will also suggest continuing a surcharge on business and occupation tax on some professional services rather than allowing it to expire in June.
Inslee is ready for a partisan throw down with Republicans who are likely to say his plan raises taxes.
"We know we will take some heat and fire by trying to close tax loopholes," said Jaime Smith, the governor's director of media relations. "If they can do what we're going to do without closing any tax loopholes, we'll be very curious to see how they can do that."
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- A new session begins with old debate and fish consumption Jan. 12
- Seahawks fans snap up special license plates Jan. 7
- Survey finds favor among voters for Inslee tax plans Jan. 6
- New license plates aid college students, cancer screening Jan. 2
- Inslee proposes transportation plan with carbon tax Dec. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.