Seahawks reportedly "closing in" on Antoine Winfield deal
Seahawks closing in on deal to have nickel CB Antoine Winfield join Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner in one of league's best secondariesAdding the 35-year-old Winfield would give Seattle a big upgrade at its nickel corner position, the spot played by Marcus Trufant last season. Trufant is currently an unrestricted free agent, and while the Seahawks have players on the roster who could fill that role, none have the experience of Winfield, who was a second-team All Pro in 2008 and a three-time Pro Bowler from 2008-2010.
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) April 10, 2013
Already the Seahawks have what is arguably (is it even an argument anymore?) the best secondary in the NFL in cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner, and safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Adding Winfield to the mix would only make that secondary even better, which has to be a scary proposition for opposing offenses.
For more on Winfield's game, be sure to check out this outstanding breakdown by the good folks over at Pro Football Focus.
The deal may be close, but it isn't done yet, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport points out:
Getting questions on Antoine Winfield and the Seahawks. I know there is mutual interest. But source says "just talking" not imminent.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 10, 2013
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Kam Chancellor "remarkably looked great" in Seahawks' pre Super Bowl walk-through Jan. 31
- Pool report on the Seahawks' Friday practice, including more on Kam Chancellor injury Jan. 30
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell weighs in on criticism from Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch's aversion to media Jan. 30
- Seahawks-Patriots final injury report of Super Bowl week Jan. 30
- Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick spend 30 minutes heaping praise on each other Jan. 30
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.