House Democrats keep Dream Act alive in budget
They've included $100,000 for implementation of House Bill 1817 which would make undocumented immigrant students eligible for state financial aid. You can find it on page 167 of the budget bill.
The House passed the bill by a margin of 77-20. But it died in the Senate Higher Education Committee as the chairwoman, Sen. Barbara Bailey, R-Oak Harbor said the state could not afford it.
And Senate Majority Leader Rodney Tom, D-Medina, has insisted it is dead as well.
But veterans of the legislative process know better than to pronounce any legislation dead until lawmakers adjourn.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- A new session begins with old debate and fish consumption Jan. 12
- Seahawks fans snap up special license plates Jan. 7
- Survey finds favor among voters for Inslee tax plans Jan. 6
- New license plates aid college students, cancer screening Jan. 2
- Inslee proposes transportation plan with carbon tax Dec. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.