The money will be matched one-to-one or greater by the owners of the private, commercial and public properties.
Each site needs work ranging from new roofs, to foundations and structural restorations, to other improvements. All of the properties are structures of national significance on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve is a 24-square-mile mosaic on Whidbey Island of working farms, iconic barns, trails, hedgerows and historic structures, encompassing more than 450 historic buildings identified on the National Register of Historic places.
The historical reserve was established in 1978 and is the only unit of the National Park Service managed by a trust board representing local, state and federal partners.
The Ebey's Forever Fund was started in 2009 to maintain and preserve the rural heritage of the reserve through grants, workshops and educational programs.
Ebey's Forever Grant Program was launched in 2011 as part of the Ebey's Forever Fund and provides annual matching grants to stabilize and sustain the reserve's heritage buildings that are listed on the national registry.
The program requires that funds be matched by property owners.
The following properties have been awarded grants through the 2013 Ebey's Forever Grant Program: Comstock Barn, 1934; Fort Casey Plotting Room, 1915; Sherman Farm Bulk Shed, circa 1950; Captain Whidbey Inn, 1907; Hancock Wood Shed, 1891; Old San de Fuca Store, 1943; Holbrook Boat Shop, circa 1895; Perkins House, 1890; Crockett Farm Motor Shed, circa 1900; Old County Courthouse, 1855; Van Dam House, 1904; Strong Barn, circa 1928; and Highwarden House, 1887.
To make a contribution to Ebey's Forever Fund, visit www.ebeysforeverfund.com/donate/.
More Local News Headlines
Options considered to restore grizzly bear population to county Everett schools take part in first-ever summer reading program PUD approved to proceed with two small hydroelectricity projects Mukilteo ferry terminal construction crews begin asbestos removal WWII veteran from Arlington reflects on his fight for freedom School bus barn work begins on 15-acre spot in Lynnwood Front Porch: Island County seeks applicants School Winners
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.