Heading out to mountains? Beware of avalanches
If you're heading out to play in the mountains anytime soon, you're going to want to check out the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center's website.
They have special alerts in affect after some areas in the Cascades received up to 2 feet of snow.
Avalanche risk is high in many areas today, and could be an issue throughout the weekend. If you're going to go play in the snow, be sure the read the website first and, if in doubt, try again another day.
Also, the Washington Trails Association has a useful post on finding safe places to hike.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Help us pick the best winter photos March 13
- Local climber invites others to join trek to Kilimanjaro for charity March 13
- State will begin clearing Highway 20 on March 31 March 12
- Video: Exploring Jetty Island and ship graveyard on standup paddleboard March 12
- Show us your best shots for winter photo contest March 12
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.