Heading out to mountains? Beware of avalanches
If you're heading out to play in the mountains anytime soon, you're going to want to check out the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center's website.
They have special alerts in affect after some areas in the Cascades received up to 2 feet of snow.
Avalanche risk is high in many areas today, and could be an issue throughout the weekend. If you're going to go play in the snow, be sure the read the website first and, if in doubt, try again another day.
Also, the Washington Trails Association has a useful post on finding safe places to hike.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Wildlife up close, fishing meeting, eagle fest, and more outdoor events Jan. 30
- Learn about Puget Sound while helping to protect its waters Jan. 28
- Staircase Rapids: Easy hike along a charming river Jan. 20
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.