The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Thursday, May 2, 2013, 1:03 p.m.

2 charged with murder in missing wife case in Idaho

LEWISTON, Idaho -- A Washington state man who authorities say killed his estranged wife three years ago and an Idaho man who is accused of aiding the slaying have been charged with first-degree murder.
Charles Capone, 51, of Clarkston, and David C. Stone, 49, of Moscow, Idaho, were also charged Wednesday with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and failure to notify officials of a death.
Authorities say 40-year-old Rachael Anderson -- a mother of four -- was lured to Capone's auto repair shop in Moscow where she was drugged then killed. Her body has not been found.
Prosecutors have not said how Anderson might have been killed.
Investigators "have been looking actively for information about her body for the last three years," said Latah County Prosecutor William Thompson Jr. "We were brought up to date on the information they had, including statements from other prisoners, cellmates. We decided there was sufficient evidence to support the filing of charges, and that it was time to move forward."
Both men were being held in the Latah County Jail. They made initial appearances Wednesday and were appointed public defenders. Capone will be represented by Moscow attorney Charles Kovis, while Stone will be defended by Ray Barker.
Kovis did not immediately return a telephone message left Thursday by The Associated Press. Barker declined to make any comment on the charges.
"It's great to see somebody step in and do something," said Amber Griswold, Anderson's oldest daughter. "I just hope we have a full ending, and we find our mother's body so can put her to rest."
Capone had been in Asotin County Jail in Washington on a $1 million bond since Oct. 3 after being charged with domestic violence assault on Anderson. That assault charge was expected to be dismissed in the wake of the new charges. Capone was moved from Washington to Idaho.
Stone was taken into custody on Wednesday after being talked out of his home, authorities said.
Court records say Capone and Stone got rid of Anderson's body and cleaned a GMC Yukon she had been driving to remove evidence. The vehicle was found in Lewiston.
Police say Capone can't account for an extra 130 miles on Anderson's vehicle after it had been taken to the shop. A cadaver dog detected human decomposition in the rear seats, and human blood was also found on pieces of paper found in Anderson's purse in the vehicle.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.


HeraldNet highlights

Looking for a friend?
Looking for a friend?: Animals up for adoption at the Everett shelter (7 new photos)
A haircut for a dollar?
A haircut for a dollar?: At Everett barber school, it'll only cost you a hair
What's your number?
What's your number?: Find out what your Seahawks jersey says about you
Cooking for kickoff
Cooking for kickoff: Football-themed recipes for your Super Bowl crowd