Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Video captures collapse at Big Four Ice Caves near Granite Falls 2:12 p.m. Options considered to restore grizzly bear population to county Feds approve PUD's two small hydroelectricity projects Everett schools expand summer reading program Mukilteo ferry terminal construction crews begin asbestos removal WWII veteran from Arlington reflects on his fight for freedom School bus barn work begins on 15-acre spot in Lynnwood Front Porch: Island County seeks applicants
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.