Seahawks waive QB Josh Portis
Portis signed with Seattle as an undrafted rookie in 2011 and spent that season on the 53-man roster. He spent most of last season on Seattle's practice squad before being released in November. Portis was re-signed by Seattle in April following the trade that sent backup quarterback Matt Flynn to Oakland.
Even without his recent arrest, Portis likely would have had a tough time beating out both the veteran Quinn and Johnson, who impressed at Seattle's rookie minicamp, for the backup job.
So while Portis' legal troubles no doubt expedited the process, he was far from a sure thing to make the team anyway. Portis was arrested on May 5 after being pulled over for speeding on I-90. He is scheduled to be arraigned in King County District Court on May 28.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Dempsey on Letterman, Sherman in the top 10, Seahawks set for the future and other Thursday links July 10
- Seahawks season tickets sold out. So is the waiting list July 9
- Russell Wilson on race and a few other Wednesday links July 9
- Naked Marshawn Lynch hits the newsstand and other Seahawks links July 8
- Kyle Seager calls All-Star selection a “dream come true” July 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.