Seahawks waive QB Josh Portis
Portis signed with Seattle as an undrafted rookie in 2011 and spent that season on the 53-man roster. He spent most of last season on Seattle's practice squad before being released in November. Portis was re-signed by Seattle in April following the trade that sent backup quarterback Matt Flynn to Oakland.
Even without his recent arrest, Portis likely would have had a tough time beating out both the veteran Quinn and Johnson, who impressed at Seattle's rookie minicamp, for the backup job.
So while Portis' legal troubles no doubt expedited the process, he was far from a sure thing to make the team anyway. Portis was arrested on May 5 after being pulled over for speeding on I-90. He is scheduled to be arraigned in King County District Court on May 28.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Highlights from Pete Carroll's Monday radio show Oct. 20
- Looking at snap count numbers from Seahawks' loss in St. Louis Oct. 20
- Five takeaways from the Seahawks' loss in St. Louis Oct. 19
- Seahawks place Cassius Marsh on IR, sign RaShaun Allen and Steven Terrell off practice squad Oct. 18
- Seahawks and Jets finalize Percy Harvin trade Oct. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.