Hiking tips for women, Wonderland Trail and more
For female backpackers: This is a great guide for any woman who likes to get outdoors a lot. She has some great tips for dealing with hygiene in the backcountry. Read it here.
The Wonderland Trail: Craig Hill and the staff at the News Tribune have put together a fabulous feature on Rainier's 93-mile loop trail. There's a great main story, as well as collection of accompanying stories with great tips on training, packing, eating a lot more. The package also includes a lot of great photos and video clips. Read it here.
Pretty photos: The North Cascades Institute is on Flickr. Check out their photo stream here.
Blood falls: A blood-red waterfall slowly flows down the ice in Antarctica. The waterfall has a fascinating history, and the photos are stunning. See it here.
Slime mold: Did you know that slime mold breathes? Or at least, it really looks like it does. This time lapse video of slime mold in the North Cascades is strangely fascinating.
Yellow Slime Mold Timelapse from sesotek on Vimeo.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Help us pick the best winter photos March 13
- Local climber invites others to join trek to Kilimanjaro for charity March 13
- State will begin clearing Highway 20 on March 31 March 12
- Video: Exploring Jetty Island and ship graveyard on standup paddleboard March 12
- Show us your best shots for winter photo contest March 12
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.