Sunrise, campgrounds opening at Mount Rainier
Warm weather has sped up the snowmelt, allowing staff to open the area. There is still 3-4 feet of snow in the area.
Sunrise is the highest point you can drive in the park. It offers so-close-you-could-almost-touch-it views of Rainier. As its name suggest, Sunrise is on the east side of the mountain and hence offers lovely sunrise views -- if you can get up that early.
The Cougar Rock campground is set to open today. White River campground will open on Friday. Mowich Lake Road, which offers access to the Mowich camping area, the Wonderland Trail and many other hiking trails, will open on July 3. The park staff report that about 3 feet of snow remain in the area.
Other areas in the park that are already open include Ohanapecosh, Paradise, Longmire and Carbon River.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Basic climbing intro for kids; avalanche class for adults Nov. 17
- See the film DamNation; learn about changes at Mount St. Helens Nov. 14
- Learn to cross-country ski or snowshoe this winter Nov. 14
- Hear photographer Paul Bannick speak about value of woodpeckers Nov. 12
- Learn about moss and lichen at two upcoming events Nov. 12
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.