July 1, 1905: Everett's Carnegie Library opens
Architect A.F. Heidi designed the building as a miniaturization of the Boston Public Library, completed using a $25,000 grant from The Carnegie Foundation.
The Herald announced the library's opening receptions to readers later that day:
"Everett's new library was today thrown open to the public.
An informal reception this afternoon celebrated that event. The reception will be continued tonight. The library will be open for the first time Monday afternoon for the issuance of books.
Few cities the size of Everett are equipped with better library facilities. The building is of excellent design, commodious and conveniently arranged. The 4,000 and odd new volumes that have just been purchased and catalogued present a handsome appearance on their shelves in the stock room."
The library would remain open until the Everett Public Library building on Hoyt Avenue was completed in 1935.
The Carnegie Foundation later granted the library board an unusual permission to sell the building. It was first purchased by an undertaking firm and later used as county offices and offices for the county jails work-release program.
The Snohomish County Museum of History in 2011 tried to secure a lease to the building, but negotiations with the county fell apart.
Today, it is vacant.
Read more from the July 1, 1905 edition of The Herald and others in our collection of historic front pages.
Most recent Time Travels posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.