Hi. My name is Sean. Think of me as your personal guide to all things cool in (and around) Everett. Why listen to me? Well, in addition to being a lifelong Everett native (Great-Grandma Tilla moved to the E-V-T back in the early 1900s), my team and I helped create Experience Everett. What's Experience Everett? Glad you asked.
Experience Everett is a timely field guide for everything strange and wonderful that only happens right here. We spend each day scouring the area for fun things to do and then custom curate the experiences for you. You can check out our monthly update here on HeraldNet.com. And you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for a steady stream of fresh things to do in Everett.
If you're anything like us, you try to cram a bazillion activities into the two short months we call summer. Not to fret. We've put together a handy field guide to lead your quest for summertime entertainment.
4th of July: The fourth is usually the unofficial last day of spring in Ever-wet. Not this year. Sunny skies create the perfect backdrop to the Colors of Freedom Parade and Festival. Kick off the day by doing The Doodle (Yankee Doodle Dash hosted by YMCA - 2720 Rockefeller). Registration begins at 7 a.m. And with 10k, 5k, 1 Mile and Kiddy Doodle races, there is a distance for everyone. If you really want to live life to the fullest, grab a doughnut at Karl's Bakery beforehand.
The Colors of Freedom Parade immediately follows at 11 a.m. with world-class marching bands, dance & drill teams, giant puppets, stilt walkers, clowns and more. Snag a seat early along Colby or Wetmore avenues. Then, head out to Legion Memorial Park from 1 to 11 p.m. for the Colors of Freedom Festival. With live music, a food fair, beer garden, and stunning views of fireworks over Port Gardner Bay, there is something for everyone. Catch the free Everett Transit shuttle at Everett Community College's Broadway Lot (10th & Broadway). Details at: www.ExperienceEverett.com/july-4th
Jetty Island Days: You know summer has arrived when you're soaking up rays on the two miles of pristine sandy goodness known locally as Jetty Island. The free Jetty Island Ferry departs from the 10th Street Boat Launch daily beginning July 5 and goes through Labor Day. A mecca for kiteboarders, kids and sun worshipers alike, the Jetty is an ideal place to spend a summer day. Nature enthusiasts will enjoy the diverse waterfowl that call the island home, including stunning bald eagles. Details at: www.ExperienceEverett.com/jetty-island
Live Music: Everett is the place to be for live music this summer. And most shows are free (are you sensing a theme here?). That's music to our ears. Full lineup available at: www.ExperienceEverett.com/everett-music-fan.
- Music on the Plaza, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Series begins July 10 and goes through Aug. 28 at the Snohomish County Campus Amphitheatre located at Rockefeller and Wall Street. Lunch tastes better when accompanied by great live music.
- Sets in the West, 5-7 p.m.: Everett Music Initiative put together an epic lineup of bands that have played the likes of SXSW, Capitol Hill Block Party, City Arts Fest and more. Catch a show and then head downtown for dinner. This is an all-ages outdoor series located at the new Wetmore Theatre Plaza on the NW corner of California and Wetmore. Beer and wine available with ID.
- Children's Concert Series, 10-11 a.m.: Series begins July 11 and goes through Aug. 22 at Thornton A. Sullivan Park on Silver Lake (11405 W Silver Lake Road). Kids will go wild for favorites like Tim Noah, The Not-Its, Caspar Babypants and more.
- Music at the Marina, 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Series begins June 27 and goes through August 29th at Port Gardner Landing (1700 W. Marine View Drive). Bring a blanket and enjoy the grassy knoll, or get there early and snag a seat at Meyer's Café or Lombardi's Italian Restaurant.
Music at the Marina, 6-8 p.m.: Series begins June 30 and goes through Aug. 24 at Port Gardner Landing (1700 W. Marine View Drive).
Music at the Marina, 2-4 p.m.: Series begins June 30 and goes through Aug. 25 at Port Gardner Landing (1700 W. Marine View Drive).
Must See Shows
The fellas at Everett Music Initiative are bringing My Goodness, Tango Alpha Tango and Prism Tats to Sol (1405 Hewitt) on Friday, July 12. Tickets are $10 presale and $12 at the door. Show is 21+. Tickets available at www.EverettMusicInitiative.org
Village Theatre presents "Chicago" beginning July 28. The longest running American musical in Broadway history, as well as an Academy Award-winning movie, Chicago has seduced audiences across the globe. Grab dinner downtown beforehand. A full list of dining options is available at: www.experienceeverett.com/establishments
Other notable things to check out
- Everett Farmer's Market is in full swing through Oct. 6. It's a Sunday must-do for fresh produce, delicious baked goods, gorgeous flowers and unique works by local artisans and craftsmen. Plus, there's free music at Port Gardner Landing from 2-4 p.m. Details at: www.experienceeverett.com/farmers-market
- Cinema Under the Stars: Free movies at Thornton A. Sullivan Park on Silver Lake (11405 W Silver Lake Road) every Friday beginning July 19 through Aug. 16. Pre-show entertainment begins at 7:30 p.m. and show starts at dusk. Show listings available at: www.experienceeverett.com/outdoor-movies
- Schack Art Center: The Art of the Garden Exhibit is showing through Aug. 1. More than 40 regional artists are featured as part of this prolific offering of art created to enhance the garden and bring the garden into the home. Details and hours at: www.schack.org/exhibits/art-of-the-garden
- Everett AquaSox Baseball: Summer means baseball. Catch the action close to home at an AquaSox baseball game and see minor league stars today before they become tomorrow's Seattle Mariners. Ticketing and game schedule information available at www.aquasox.com.
More Entertainment Headlines
Aasif Mandvi bridges East-West gap Billy Joel breaks Elton John’s record for Garden concerts Capsule reviews of the next week’s video releases, on DVD and Blu-ray Monday’s highlights on TV 5 things for Apple (and you) to keep in mind as Apple Music is launched Summer songs soak up the sunshine Jane Austen meets Singapore in this beach page-turner List of upcoming local book events
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.