Blue hoists the cup, plus Green vs. Grey rosters
Blue 4, Green 2
Blue goals: Jake Durflinger, Kohl Bauml (or Rylan Cratsenberg, not sure), Luke Vanschaack, Tyler Sandhu.
Green goals: Ivan Nikolishin, Logan Aasman.
Blue goalies: Logan Linklater (6-5), Solomon Burk (11-10), Austin Lotz (8-8).
Green goalies: Quinton Reynolds (14-11), Mario Petit (8-7).
- Blue finishes camp undefeated to hoist the second annual Volunteer Cup. This year the cup was presented by former Tips billet coordinator Pat Jones, who served in the position from 2003-12.
- Blue led 3-1 at halftime, but Green pressed the entire second half. However, a combination of last-ditch defending and excellent goaltending from Solomon Burk and Austin Lotz secured it for Blue. Lotz finished training camp scrimmages without allowing a single goal. He also did his best Mariano Rivera impersonation, as he earned the save in three close games.
- This game was decided in about 10 seconds. Green scored early in the second half to pull within 3-2, then Ivan Nikolishin hit the inside of the post with a shot that would have tied it. Blue headed the other way and Tyler Sandhu put in a rebound to make it a two-goal game. That was the curtail moment.
- What a trade Tyler Sandhu turned out to be. He was originally on Green, but he was switched to Blue because no-shows left Blue short-handed. He only scored five goals in the four scrimmages.
BRONZE MEDAL GAME
Red 5, Grey 3
Red goals: Dawson Leedahl, Keyvan Mokhtari, Chase Fincaryk, Kyle Raymond, Patrick Khodorenko (en).
Grey goals: Alec Mehr, Nick White, Micheal Zipp.
Red goalies: Daniel Cotton, Carter Hart, Nathan Cvar (shot totals not available).
Grey goalies: Josh Stone, Nik Amundrud (shot totals not available).
- Grey went ahead three times, only for Red to answer all three, then Red scored the final two to win it.
- Fifteen-year-old Red forward Keyvan Mokhtari has been close throughout camp, so it was nice to see him finally get a goal.
- Grey defenseman Micheal Zipp has had a nice camp. His shot from the point looks more dangerous than it has in the past.
- Red's Chase Faulkner is a large human being, and he was involved in most of the physical play in this one, both giving and receiving.
- Grey played without overage center Manraj Hayer. Hayer was involved in a big collision with Red goaltender Nathan Cvar Saturday afternoon, and although he kept playing, I suspect that's why he sat out this morning.
GREEN VS. GREY GAME ROSTERS
Goaltenders: Josh Stone, Daniel Cotton, Nik Amundrud.
Defensemen: Ryan Warner, Noah Juulsen, Matt Pufahl, Jordan Wharrie, Lucas Skrumeda, Alex Astasiewicz, Kevin Davis.
Forwards: Andrew Fyten, Jake Durflinger, Brayden Low, Dawson Leedahl, Kohl Bauml, Carson Stadnyk, Braden Allkins, Patrick Khodorenko, Josh Winquist, Keyvan Mokhtari, Kevin Jakisch, Linden Penner.
Goaltenders: Austin Lotz, Carter Hart, Mario Petit.
Defensemen: Connor Nobach, Ben Betker, Micheal Zipp, Arsh Shergill, Mirco Miller, Cole MacDonald, Austin Adam.
Forwards: Patrick Bajkov, Tyler Sandhu, Waltteri Hopponen, Ivan Nikolishin, Reid Petryk, Kyle Raymond, Stevie Bryant, Matt Fonteyne, Nick White, Logan Aasman, Tyson Jost, Mitch Skapski.
- The game is at 3 p.m. at Comcast Arena. Admission is free, but attendees are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for donation to the Volunteers of America Everett Food Bank.
- 2013 first-round bantam pick Tyson Jost has arrived and will be playing in the game. He was not here for the first three days of training camp because of a scheduling conflict.
- Three players who remain on the roster, but aren't playing, are Manraj Hayer, Jujhar Khaira and Ty Mappin. Hayer and Mappin are nursing minor injuries, Khaira is home preparing for camp with the NHL's Edmonton Oilers.
- Alec Mehr is not playing and is heading home. It looks like the Tips weren't able to sign the promising 16-year-old forward from California, at least not for now. I'm told it wasn't for a lack of trying.
Most recent Silvertips blog posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.