Jan Bond honored for her 47 years of volunteering at fair
After serving 47 years at the Evergreen State Fair, Bond is this year's honored fair volunteer.
Bond, 79, of Clearview, started volunteering at the fair in 1966.
Over the years, Bond has served as superintendent of the 4-H cats, natural sciences and performing arts departments. She was the person who initiated all three of the departments.
"My summer vacation all these years has been spent at the fair, and after nearly 50 years, I feel very appreciated," Bond said. "It has kept me young and kept me busy."
Bond said that one of the pleasures of serving in 4-H is that now she is seeing a third generation of kids entering fair competition.
"I am proud of all of these 4-H kids," Bond said. "We've even had some go on to perform on Broadway."
Bond's dedication to 4-H won her a spot in the Washington State University 4-H Hall of Fame. She was one of three people from Snohomish County inducted in 2011.
Other fair volunteers honored this year include Marcie Allen, Mike Hougan, Cheryl Minnick, Kathleen Wright, Don Ballard, Linda Cline, Joe Johnson, Rick Lindsey, Shelley Miars, Sue Sanderlin-Berry, Jen Casey, Robert Hamstra, Mark Scoville, Joshua Simon, Kim Wilson and Jessica Nemnich.
- evergreen state fair judging results 8/29/14
- For county youngsters, fair’s a chance to earn that first paycheck 8/28/14
- Lake Stevens farmers recognized as Centennial Farm Family 8/28/14
- Fair results for Aug. 27 8/27/14
- Evergreen State Fair judging results 8/27/14
- One-man band takes his show on foot at Evergreen State Fair 8/27/14
- Photo gallery: Scenes from the Evergreen State Fair 8/24/14
- An Evergreen fair to remember 8/22/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.