BIG TICKET GIVEAWAY

Win 2 tickets to every event for a year! Click here to enter.

Present by The Daily Herald
The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 8:25 a.m.

Navy Yard reopens 3 days after massacre

  • Workers and military personnel walk along the perimeter of the Washington Navy Yard on Thursday. The yard began returning to nearly normal operations ...

    Charles Dharapak / Associated Press

    Workers and military personnel walk along the perimeter of the Washington Navy Yard on Thursday. The yard began returning to nearly normal operations three days after it was the scene of a mass shooting in which a gunman killed 12 people.

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Navy Yard reopened for normal operations Thursday with returning employees saying they still felt unsettled about the shooting there earlier this week in which a gunman killed 12 people.
Some employees who streamed by the red brick wall of the Navy Yard in the early morning sun said it was too soon for them to even talk about the shootings. Others said it will take a while to get past the tragedy.
"I'd rather not be here today," said Judy Farmer, a scheduler from Manassas, Va.
The Navy installation re-opened at 6 a.m. Thursday. Traffic was blocked from reaching the main gate for a time because a tractor-trailer tried to make a U-turn and its load shifted.
"It's a little surreal I guess," said Brooke Roberts, an engineer who works across the street from the building where the shooting happened.
"You don't think this sort of thing can happen to you at your workplace, so you're just not prepared for it, regardless," he said of the shooting as he walked by a blocked off gate he is accustomed to using to enter the Navy Yard. He described himself as feeling "still unsettled," noting the blocked off entrance.
"It's still not quite normal, and it probably won't be for some time," Roberts said.
Navy spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Sarah Flaherty said Thursday will be a regular work day, except for Building 197, where the shootings occurred, and the base gym. She said the gym is being used as a staging area for the FBI to investigate Monday's rampage in which former Navy reservist Aaron Alexis gunned down 12 people before police killed him.
Barbara Smith said she was feeling apprehensive, walking toward the Navy Yard entrance.
"But, you know, I have to work, and I'm trusting that they're taking care of what needs to be taken care of," she said.
Law enforcement officials are still trying to determine a motive for the shooting. Officials have said the 34-year-old gunman was grappling with paranoia, hearing voices and convinced he was being followed. A month before the shootings, he complained to police in Rhode Island that people were talking to him through the walls and ceilings of his hotel room and sending microwave vibrations into his body to deprive him of sleep.
On Wednesday, the Department of Veterans Affairs told lawmakers in Congress that Alexis visited two VA hospitals in late August complaining of insomnia, but that he denied struggling with anxiety or depression or had thoughts of harming himself or others. On Aug. 23 he visited an emergency room at the VA Medical Center in Providence, R.I. He made a similar visit five days later to the VA hospital in Washington.
Also on Wednesday, families began claiming the bodies of their loved ones from the medical examiner's office in Washington.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet highlights

Prep football roundup
Prep football roundup: Photos and stories from week 2 of high school football
Fall TV preview
Fall TV preview: 10 shows you might love, and 5 you'll probably hate
Taste of Oktober
Taste of Oktober: A look at 5 Oktoberfest beers and one harvest wild card
Logging the PCT
Logging the PCT: Hikers spend summer on iconic trail in hopes of improving app