Serve breakfast at your next gathering
I don't know if I have shared this little tidbit of news, in August our family grew by not one, but two bouncing baby boys! To the surprise and delight of everyone my sister and I simultaneously revealed our pregnancies early in the year. She was carrying her first and I, as you know, was expecting our second little boy. With due dates less than two weeks apart it was fun to imagine them perhaps arriving on the very same day. Ultimately the boys are 20 days apart in age but do share a birth month and even though it is early days they seem to have a few facial features in common.
So what does this have to do with breakfast? Well, when it came time to host a baby shower for my sister I got really excited about having everyone over for a mid morning brunch. We circled the solstice on the calendar and prayed for nice weather. On the day of the event the weather more than delivered and so did the menu.
I set about planning the menu for the shower the way I do every party. My foremost intention is to feed people with love and respect. I like to prepare food that may feels like a treat, perhaps with a few more steps than most people would undertake for a meal at home. I do my best to use healthy ingredients and present everything in portions that allow each person to eat dainty or hearty meals according to their own appetite.
I have shared most of the recipes with you throughout the summer so think of the menu as a sort of end of season, best of, recipe round-up. Let's Have Brunch!
- Scones: Sweet & Savory Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk and Ricotta and Scallion.
- Greek Yogurt Parfaits: Non-fat Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and three cereal options -- Erewhon Strawberry Crisp Cereal and homemade granola Maple-Cranberry Granola and Coconut-Almond Granola. Tip: Defrosted frozen fruit is a tasty alternative to fresh outside of the summer months.
- Mini Frittatas: Two ways tomato, basil and feta and caramelized onion; roasted asparagus with crispy bacon
- Cut fruit
- Assorted fresh vegetables with Spicy Picnic Hummus.
- Infused water: Watermelon and mint; lemon and lime.
- Coffee and tea
Most recent Light for Life posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.