Front Porch: HIV tests, information meeting Tuesday
Snohomish County ranks third in the state for new HIV cases, following King and Pierce counties.
About 58 percent of all new HIV cases in the state are among men who have sex with other men. Gay and bisexual men make up less than 10 percent of the population, but account for almost 60 percent of the HIV cases.
The Snohomish Health District plans to host a free evening of information and testing from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in Suite 108 at the Rucker Building, 3020 Rucker Ave., Everett.
The event is intended for gay and bisexual men who may be at risk for HIV infection and other sexually transmitted diseases. No appointment is needed. The event includes door prizes and light refreshments, and every man screened will receive a financial incentive.
The Health District also will offer free testing to qualified men for hepatitis C and syphilis, and vaccine for hepatitis A and B. Test results will be available within 30 minutes. The tests are anonymous and confidential.
For more information, call David Bayless, 425-339-5238.
Plan for an emergency: Learn what to do for yourself, your family and your neighborhood to prepare for an emergency. The Red Cross's 30-minute presentation "Safe in the Sound" will show how to make a plan and be prepared.
The event is set for 2 p.m. Saturday at Snohomish Library, 311 Maple Ave. Kids attending the event will be able to create and decorate their own emergency comfort kit. Kit supplies will be provided.
- Lakewood High’s Blake Watts combines sports and community 1/26/15
- Super Kid Sierra Price a calming voice on MPHS campus 1/19/15
- Sultan High School's Ruth Tess does it all 12/29/14
- Super Kid: Sonny Blankenship, Weston High School 12/22/14
- Super Kid: Elizabeth Swanson, Kamiak High senior 12/8/14
- Super Kid: Ingrid Pelletier, Stanwood High School 11/17/14
- Super Kid: James Ramirez, 15, Cascade High School sophomore 11/10/14
- Super Kid: Monroe student already an author and mentor 11/3/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.