Broncos as 28-point favorites over Jags sets NFL record
The Broncos (5-0) are averaging an NFL-high 46 points a game this season and quarterback Peyton Manning has set a record with 20 touchdown passes through five games. The Jaguars are scoring a league-low 10.2 points a game and have surrendered 163 points, the second-most in the NFL.
The disparity between the teams and the Broncos' popularity with bettors has led to the historic line from oddsmakers at Las Vegas Hotel's Super Book and William Hill. The biggest previous NFL point spread dating back to 1972 was the Pittsburgh Steelers at -26 for a Dec. 5, 1976, game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Las Vegas-based handicapping information website Pregame.com.
"The Las Vegas consensus opinion deems Denver to be the best team in the league, and Jacksonville to be the worst team anyone can remember," Pregame founder RJ Bell said in an email. "Add in the Broncos record-setting point production and you have the recipe for the biggest favorite of all-time."
The 0-5 Jaguars got more bad luck yesterday when they lost starting left tackle Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 pick in this year's draft, for the rest of the year with a broken ankle.
The Seattle Seahawks were favored by as many as 20 points against the Jaguars in Week 3 of this season, tying the record for the earliest the NFL has had such an overwhelming pick. Seattle routed Jacksonville 45-17.
In 1976, when Pittsburgh had its record-setting spread against Tampa Bay, the Steelers were the defending Super Bowl champions and hosting an expansion Buccaneers team that was 0-12 at the time. Pittsburgh won 42-0.
- Report: Packers' Matthews could be sidelined one month 10/7/13
- Raiders release quarterback Flynn 10/7/13
- Panthers' Smith calls NFL umpire 'garbage' 10/7/13
- Vick day to day, Foles could win QB job for Eagles 10/7/13
- Lions' Raiola accused of verbally abusing Wisconsin band 10/7/13
- Harvin rejoins Seahawks, no practice timetable yet 10/7/13
- Carroll curious to see how Seahawks will react to loss 10/7/13
- Jets beat Falcons 30-28 on final play 10/7/13
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.