Sounders acquire D Chad Marshall
On Thursday, the Sounders acquired defender Chad Marshall from the Columbus Crew in exchange for allocation money and a 2015 third-round pick.
Marshall, 29, has played 10 seasons with Columbus, and was named the MLS Defender of the Year in 2008 and 2009. He has also made 11 appearances with the U.S. National Team. In Seattle, Marshall will be reunited with Sigi Schmid, who coached the Crew from 2006 to 2008.
“Chad is a quality defender who brings experience to the Sounders," Schmid said in a press release. "He is dominant in the air, has won an MLS Cup and been a league defender of the year. I look forward to working with Chad again and await his positive contribution to our team.”
Marshall started 30 games for Columbus last season, logging the second most minutes on the team (2,638). He currently ranks 21st amongst active MLS players with 253 games played.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Carroll would support Sherman if he chose son's birth over Super Bowl Jan. 30
- Marshawn Lynch and Rob Gronkowski playing 'Mortal Kombat' is comedy gold Jan. 30
- Seahawks Thursday practice report Jan. 29
- Katy Perry texts with Russell Wilson, imitates Marshawn Lynch, likes the Seahawks Sunday Jan. 29
- Pete Carroll on New England's use of unusual formations: 'it's on us to see it' Jan. 29
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.