Weekend reading: Happy penguin and hot drinks
First up, that penguin up there? He is the world's happiest creature. And that's pretty much how I feel every time it snows, too.
If you're going out in the snow, you should check out these "6 hot drinks for cold winter nights." But don't let that title restrict you. You should feel totally free to drink any of these drinks during the day, too. Put a hot drink in your thermos and go hit the trail.
If you are heading outdoors, this is one of the best descriptions of layering I've ever seen. After reading this, you should be able to stay comfortable in anything the mountains can throw at you.
Speaking of, International Mountain Day was this week. In honor of it, Mother Nature Network shared some stunning mountain photos. I was pleased to see three photos from Washington. We do have some awesome mountains.
I'll end with more eye candy. Here are some gorgeous winter scenes from National Geographic.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Staircase Rapids: Easy hike along a charming river Jan. 20
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
- Parks, Forest Service go fee-free for MLK Day Jan. 14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.