One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
In 1915, as war raged in Europe, the Liberty Bell came to Everett Fourth of July events Update to water quality rules could affect county's farmers Lynnwood wants to link up city's existing paths into one trail Teen accused of stabbing his grandmother in Bothell claims he ‘heard voices’ Families, safety and growth are common themes of Lake Stevens council candidates Small brush fire burns on I-5 After the parade, keep the party going at First Baptist Church
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.