Low snow delays opening of Rainier snow play area
Beginning Saturday, the road from Longmire to Paradise will be open seven days a week.
The snow play area at Paradise isn't ready to open yet, however. The snow depth is at 59 percent of normal. That doesn't provide enough snow to protect the meadows and cover up tree tops and rocks. Once the snow is deep enough, the play area will open.
The park is open all year. Longmire and the National Park Inn are open, except in the case of extreme storms.
"Even without snow play being open, the park is a wonderful place to visit to participate in a variety of winter activities including snowshoeing, snowboarding, skiing, building snowmen and snow caves, hiking, and sightseeing," according to a press release from the park.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Book giveaway: Two new guides to some of the best trails July 8
- Upcoming outdoor events: Mountain biking clinic, birds, Burke July 6
- Video: Helicopter team rescues hiker on rock face July 3
- How many beers did that workout earn you? July 2
- Trail crew: Pulaskis, brush saws, shovels (and a few sequins) June 30
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.