The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 3:12 p.m.

$700 million lawsuit in Oregon bus crash

PENDLETON, Ore. -- A British Columbia lawyer representing 12 victims from a charter bus crash last year on I-84 in Eastern Oregon has filed a lawsuit seeking $700 million.
The group is seeking a jury trial on accusations the bus driver was fatigued from long hours behind the wheel and drove too fast, and the tour operators were negligent, the East Oregonian reported.
The lawsuit also accused Oregon and the state Transportation Department of failing to make the stretch of I-84 through the Blue Mountains safe, such as by putting in barriers strong enough to keep the bus from going nearly 200 feet into a ravine.
Nine people were killed and 38 injured when the charter bus from Vancouver, B.C., crashed on Dec. 30. It was on the final day of a Western tour.
The suit was filed Monday at the Umatilla County Courthouse by Scott Parks, attorney for the estates of two of the dead and for 10 of the survivors. Among those survivors is Choonja Moon, 53, wife of Seokmin Moon, 55, of Maple Ridge, B.C., who died along with Youmin Kim, 12, of South Korea.
Department of Transportation spokesman Dave Thompson said Thursday that the agency would have no comment on a lawsuit.
Mark P. Scheer, a lawyer for bus company Mi Joo Tour & Travel, did not immediately return a call for comment. He has previously said the driver had enough sleep, and he has blamed black ice for the accident.
Oregon and the agency are also plaintiffs in a separate, $10 million lawsuit filed by a survivor and the estates of three of the dead.
Mi Joo Tour & Travel is a defendant in that lawsuit. The federal Department of Transportation in January yanked the company’s registration to operate in the United States.
Umatilla County District Attorney Dan Primus has said he’s working with state and federal agencies and is still considering whether to seek charges in the crash.
Story tags » Car accident

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...