BIG TICKET GIVEAWAY

Win 2 tickets to every event for a year! Click here to enter.

Present by The Daily Herald
The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Friday, February 7, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

U.S. ready to send envoy to discuss Kenneth Bae

  • U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Ambassador Glyn Davies speaks to reporters in Beijing on Jan. 28. Davies urged North Korea to pardo...

    AP

    U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy Ambassador Glyn Davies speaks to reporters in Beijing on Jan. 28. Davies urged North Korea to pardon imprisoned American Kenneth Bae, saying he was in poor health and needed to return home.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. is reiterating its willingness to send an envoy to seek the freedom of an American detainee in North Korea after a pro-Pyongyang newspaper reported that such a visit was being planned.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki did not comment directly on the report in a Japan-based newspaper, which said that it briefly interviewed the detainee on Friday at a prison in the North Korean capital.
Kenneth Bae, of Lynnwood, was quoted as saying he had been notified that the U.S. envoy on North Korean human rights issues will come to meet him as early as Monday and no later than the end of the month.
Psaki said the long-standing offer to send Robert King stands but did not indicate any such invitation had been extended.
Meanwhile, Bae's family  is worried about him after learning he was returned to a labor camp.
Bae, who led tour groups in North Korea, has been held for more than a year. He was sentenced to 15 years hard labor for unspecified hostile acts, but was moved last summer to a hospital from a prison work camp.

His sister, Terri Chung, of Edmonds, says her family learned from the U.S. State Department on Friday that Bae was taken back to the labor camp on Jan. 20. He has been working eight hours per day, six days per week.

He had lost more than 50 pounds before being transferred to the hospital, and his family said he suffers from several health problems.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet highlights

Hall of Famers
Hall of Famers: Olson leads Snohomish County Sports Hall of Fame class
The Silvertips' anchor
The Silvertips' anchor: Austin Lotz has transformed his body and goaltending style
Stump finds a home
Stump finds a home: Couple adopts massive tree stump that washed up in Everett
Staying power
Staying power: Mill's gone, but Mill Town Credit Union still thriving