Seahawks sign WR Chris Matthews
Which brings us back to today's signing of receiver Chris Matthews to a futures contract.
Matthews, who is listed at 6-foot-5, 227 pounds, went undrafted out of Kentucky, and after a brief stint Cleveland (where, yes, he was the subject of some features about his potential), Matthews went to the Canadian Football League. In 2012, Matthews had 81 catches for 1,192 yards and 7 touchdowns playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, earning CFL rookie of the year honors. Matthews missed most of last season because of injuries, but is healthy now according to this story in the Winnipeg Sun. That article also notes that, according to Matthews' agent, he could fit in in the NFL as something of a receiver/tight end hybrid.
Matthews was a standout at Dorsey High School and played at Los Angeles Harbor College before transferring to Kentucky, so it's a safe bet that Pete Carroll is at least somewhat familiar with the receiver.
Here's video of Matthews from his time at Kentucky:
And from his career in Winnipeg, where he caught passes from former WSU quarterback Alex Brink:
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks Irvin, Bennett fined for Super Bowl scuffle Feb. 6
- Seahawks sign G/C Jared Wheeler Feb. 6
- Seahawks S Earl Thomas has torn labrum, will have surgery Feb. 5
- Pete Carroll on the Today Show: ‘Think how strong we’ll be coming out of this’ Feb. 5
- Richard Sherman’s son arrives four days after Super Bowl Feb. 5
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.