REGIONAL PREVIEW: Jackson vs. Stadium boys
Where: Everett C.C.
Records: Jackson 22-1; Stadium 15-8,
AP rank: Jackson 1st; Stadium NR
Scoreczar rank: Jackson 1st; Stadium 21st
Key wins: Jackson—Harvard-Westlake (Calif.), Columbia Christian (Ore.), Long Beach Poly (Calif.), Capital Christian (Calif.), Arlington (twice); Stadium—South Kitsap, Bellarmine Prep (twice), Curtis.
How they got to regionals: Jackson beat Arlington in the District 1 championship game to earn the District 1 No. 1 seed; Stadium lost to Bellarmine Prep in the District 3/4 third-place game to earn the District 3/4 No. 4 seed.
Players to watch: Jackson—Jason Todd, G/F; Dan Kingma, G; Brian Zehr, P; Marcus Blake, G; Connor Willgress, G. Stadium—Lucious Brown, P; Bobby Moorehead, F; Malik Mayeux, F, Eric Tuttle, G.
Breakdown: In terms of experience, Stadium is the exact opposite of Jackson. Unlike the Timberwolves, who returned 10 seniors to a team that played in the state championship last season, Stadium graduated nine seniors over the offseason, including three starting guards. The Tigers didn't fall apart but actually rode the play of Brown to a league title in Narrows 4A. The 6-foot-7 do-everything forward was strong on both ends of the court and was recently named the league MVP, but what put Stadium over the top was better-than-expected play from inexperienced guards Eric Tuttle, Mark Galanesi, Blake Budzisz and Ben Cottrill. The Tigers, however, face arguably their toughest opponent today in Jackson, which has experience down low in Todd and Zehr and in the backcourt in Kingma and Blake. It will likely be a huge wake-up call for the team from Tacoma.
Radio: KXA, 1520 AM
Prediction: Jackson, 72-59
- Confidence has grown for battle-tested Edmonds-Woodway girls 3/1/14
- Arlington girls headed back to Tacoma with win over Beamer 3/1/14
- Lynnwood girls beat Bellarmine Prep, advance to Tacoma 3/1/14
- Stanwood boys headed to Tacoma after beating Foss 3/1/14
- Mountlake Terrace boys fall to Wilson in regionals 3/1/14
- Glacier Peak falls short in regional loss 3/1/14
- Edmonds-Woodway’s season comes to end in regionals 3/1/14
- REGIONAL PREVIEW: Glacier Peak vs. Mercer Island girls 3/1/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.