Pete Carroll says “not much to comment on” regarding Jared Allen
Earlier in the day, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll was on SiriusXM, and said there is nothing new to report.
“It’s a big business decision for him, so there’s really not much to comment about right now,” Carroll said. “We’re very restricted on what we can do. We have a lot of work to get done on our roster, and a lot of guys we’ve got to work with and we’re excited about extending and stuff like that. So we have concerns and not everything is easy and can’t move as swiftly as everyone would like.”
The key to that quote is Carroll’s mention of “a lot of work to get done on our roster” and players “we’re excited about extending.”
Yes the Seahawks would love to add Allen to their pass rush, and by all accounts there is an offer on the table, but priority No. 1 is still extending players like Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman, and having enough money to do the same with Russell Wilson next year when he’s eligible to negotiate an extension. Whatever the Seahawks are offering Allen, they’re doing it with an eye on retaining their young nucleus, and if that offer isn’t enough for Allen after a weekend of deliberation, don’t expect the Seahawks to up said offer by a significant amount.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks CB and free-agent-to-be Byron Maxwell on being "the prettiest girl at the dance right now" Jan. 28
- Quotes from Seahawks coach Pete Carroll's Wednesday press conference. Jan. 28
- What Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch said Wednesday Jan. 28
- Transcript of Pete Carroll's Super Bowl XLIX Media Day session Jan. 27
- Seahawks general manager John Schneider on the team's power structure, re-signing Russell Wilson and more Jan. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.