President to visit Oso mudslide, nearby towns on April 22
The 1st District Democrat says she talked with the president Tuesday about the Federal Emergency Management Agency's continued support as the area copes with the aftermath of last month's devastating slide.
A statement from the White House was issued a few hours later:
"On Tuesday, April 22, President Obama will travel to Oso, Washington to view the devastation from the recent mudslide and meet with the families affected by this disaster, as well as first responders and recovery workers. Further details about the President's travel to Washington will be available in the coming days."
In a statement issued by Inslee's office, the governor said:
"The White House told me this morning that President Obama will visit the Highway 530 slide site April 22. This will give the president the opportunity to see first-hand the devastation wrought by the slide as well as the incredible community spirit flourishing in Oso, Arlington and Darrington. The White House said the president will meet with families, first responders and recovery workers.
"From the earliest days following the slide, the president has closely monitored events in the area and shown his concerns for the victims and their families. He and his team have been important partners in the response effort, and I believe this visit will strengthen those ties as we face the tough work ahead."
The death toll rose to 35 people Tuesday. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office says it's still working to identify four of the dead.
The county sheriff's office says 11 people remain missing from the March 22 slide that buried homes along the North Fork Stillaguamish River.
- $5.25M targeted for childrenís recreation in Stilly Valley 12/26/14
- Whitehorse Trail rebuild project delayed 12/25/14
- Millions spent after Oso mudslide, but generosity can't be measured 12/21/14
- Report points to critical fixes 12/18/14
- Mudslide report offers ideas to be ready for next disaster 12/15/14
- Study of timber harvest near Oso mudslide inconclusive 12/9/14
- State budget should include funding for Stilly Valley Youth Project 12/5/14
- County expects costly legal battles over Oso mudslide 12/4/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.